Re: Debian derivatives census draft announcement

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 01:54:10PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> I'd like to announce the Debian derivatives census[1] in order to get
> more derivatives registered. I already announced it on the derivatives
> list and got Emdebian, Grml, Maemo and gNewSense members to add pages.
> Ubuntu I added myself and Canaima was added after I met someone from
> there on IRC.

Paul, thanks a lot for working on this!

> Subject: Debian conducting census of derivatives (need a better title)

The text of the announcement looks very good to me. Unless there are
other comments, please go ahead and submit it (I take you were planning
to send it via Debian News, which I completely agree with).

As an alternative title for the announcement I propose the simpler:

  Debian Derivatives Census

I find it more straight to the point and therefore effective.

A few minor suggestions are reported below

> In general Debian encourages members of derivative distributions to
> contribute their ideas, patches, bug reports to Debian and to the
> upstream developers of software included in Debian.

s/In general //

(not sure if it's a style requirement wrt previous paragraph, but it
gives me an awkward felling of "there are specific cases in which we
might not want to encourage that")

>      7. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

You might also want to add a link to the derivatives front desk
announcement, which has previously appeared on Debian News
<http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100629>, on the first mention of it
in the text.

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 03:47:48PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hmm, probably we should announce the derivatives guidelines in the
> same mail.

I think it's a bit premature. I'd rather invite people here (as you do
in the announcement) and then at some point try re-launching a RFC on
them on this list.

Cheers.