Re: Arguments for basing upon Debian

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:37:13 +0100
Jamie Thompson <debian-derivatives@jamie-thompson.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2011-10-08 1:19 PM, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> The details of some of the points made were more along the lines that
> Debian's dependency resolution apparently requires the full dataset to
> be available and parsed, and scanning millions of packages for
> dependencies would strain a limited-resource mobile device. To help make
> their case they pointed out that an apt-get update downloaded 13MB and
> took 13 seconds. I pointed out the same on my Debian server only
> required 273KB in 11 seconds...which forced them to admit they'd cleared
> their cache first. ;)

So use a Debian based derivative with a smaller package cache where the
package selection is optimised to the kind of packages you need:
Emdebian Grip.

http://www.emdebian.org/grip/

> Indeed. My attempts to get stronger ties to Debian in these new projects
> is basically because I don't have the resources to run a project like
> this myself and duplicating, say, the Mer project, seems like such a
> waste of resources. I'd love to be a part of a Debian Mobile project
> based upon Maemo with stronger ties to Debian as Ubuntu has, but I just
> don't want to be the entire project ;). I see being able to leverage the
> Debian project's resources as a great way to minimise the work required
> in the forked distro, if you will. I do contribute to Debian (for much
> the same reasons you do, apparently) as time allows (usually bug reports
> and troubleshooting, and the odd small patch)...but unfortunately that
> constraint means I can probably only be a small cog in a project, and
> thus somewhat reliant on those further up the project food chain.

Emdebian Grip is binary compatible with Debian at the same package
versions, so if you contribute to one, it goes into the other. (With
the exception of translations and docs which get removed to make
Emdebian packages 40% smaller than Debian equivalents.)

--

Neil Williams