Re: Planet Debian Derivatives / Planet Ubuntu

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Iain Lane wrote:

>> There's some planet (I don't remember which) which has a normal feed and
>> a feed with rms removed, to satisfy two crowds since he is rather
>> prolific. Something like that could work.
>
> I remembered, it's Planet Debian Upstream
>
>  http://updo.debian.net/
>
> which has a few variants. It seems like that would make sense for
> derivatives too.

I asked the maintainers of planet.d.o about adding a second low-volume
planet and their response was basically that removing a feed is a
slippery slope that ends in single planets for each derivative. I tend
to agree.

In addition it appears that the Planet Venus setup has the limitation
that when downloading feeds it doesn't do cross-planet de-duplication
of the feed list so things would be downloaded twice.

So, I suggest filing wishlist bugs/patches on your RSS feed gatherer
to add filtering features. We have that for mail so I think it should
be added for RSS anyway. Both mail and RSS need ways to prioritise
some items over others. You could also switch to using rss2mail and
using your standard mail filtering stuff, which I've been thinking
about switching to myself.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise