Re: census issues mails?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Josef Spillner wrote:

> I wonder whether this is a common phenomenon for derivatives to create
> packaging metadata sparsingly or not at all.

I would guess that most if not all of the livecd/liveimage derivatives
don't have repositories, generally there is no reason to have them in
those cases.

Personally I like the ability to install new software in Debian
LiveCDs, in the past I've used this quite a bit. Publishing
repositories also gives users the ability to easily rebuild images
they are using, with some modifications of their own (removed/extra
packages etc).

> For SPACEflight, for example, the effect is something like a "rolling
> debianisation effort": Many things are just pulled into the base image through
> some scripts at first, and if they stabilise in how they're structured,
> they're promoted to packages.
> I wouldn't say that this is a planned or desired strategy, but for our use
> case (get research prototypes out to the public fast, upgrade/deinstallation
> not a necessity) it's the effect which seems to happen always for efficiency.

That seems like a reasonable strategy.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise