Re: Debian derivatives guidelines: popcon

Hi there,

Resurrecting an old thread, as I just thought about this today.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 01:19:52PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Paul Wise] wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The derivatives guidelines[1] mention popcon[2] and suggest submitting
> > to both popcon.debian.org and popcon.example.org.
> >
> > Can the popcon devs (CCed) please comment on this suggestion, is it
> > appropriate to do that?
>
> I would recommend this only for distros mostly using Debian packages.

So I'm thinking about Ubuntu specifically. Would you recommend it here? I
guess by "Debian packages" you mean ones that are unmodified? There are some
graphs

  https://merges.ubuntu.com/universe-now.png

and

  https://merges.ubuntu.com/main-now.png

which show that Ubuntu does 'mostly' use (unmodified) Debian packages.

I can see the value in separating out the origin though (but would still like
the aggregate displayed by default on popcon.d.o — I'm interested not just in
what my packages are doing in Debian, but across all derivatives). Would this
be hard to do? Would you consider this a blocker to including Ubuntu popcon
data — since otherwise it would massively outweigh all other contributions
and be inseparable?

Cheers,
Iain