Re: DEX update

On 06/02/2011 05:04 AM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Matt Zimmerman, 2011-06-02]
>> = Ubuntu: python2.7 transition =
>>
>> Meanwhile, Allison has proposed an Ubuntu DEX project to coordinate the
>> Python 2.6→2.7 transition:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2011/05/msg00020.html
>>
>> This will involve not only merging patches from Ubuntu into Debian, but also
>> fixing problems in Debian directly to avoid creating a delta in the first
>> place.
>
> Please lower this one's priority or make sure someone reviews these
> patches before submitting to Debian.
>
> .oO(Fortunately most Python transition problems are usually not detected
>     by Ubuntu guys so they're fixed in Ubuntu after automatic sync)

Barry and I aren't Debian Developers/Maintainers, so we'll be looking
for sponsors for our work on the Python 2.7 transition. That should
provide built-in reviews.

I have sponsors for my other Debian packaging work, but it'd be nice to
have someone with deep experience in Debian Python for this work, so I'm
hoping to find a sponsor from debian-python. I'm in a funny spot where I
have experience in Python (core committer, primary dev on an alternate
python3 VM, on the PSF board) and in Debian (primary packager of Parrot
for several years), but haven't done any work with debian-python yet. So
my sponsor won't have a horrendous job with a clueless newbie, but I'll
definitely appreciate mentoring in the debian-python way.

Allison