Re: Debian derivatives front desk: where to from here?

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:17:12 +0100
Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 01:55:16AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Ditto, thanks Paul for this wrapup-and-ping message.

> > Annual face-to-face meeting at DebConf, perhaps similar to what we
> > had at DebConf10, hopefully with a more diverse set of derivatives
> > represented ;)
>
> A periodic BoF sounds reasonable. Of course attending DebConf is not
> always possible, but we should then make very clear that, as DebConf,
> we *invite* representative from derivatives to attend. That is

I was wondering if having a
BoF/miniconf/debian-and-its-derivatives-morning at other events would
be worth while too? They don't have to be big and structured, just a
way of people to meet face to face when they can.

> > Census of Debian derivatives. Which ones still exist, how are they
> <snip>
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Ubuntu
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusTemplate
>
> That is a very useful initiative, thanks. I remember that people from
> -www meant to revamp the webpages on the subject and that they will
> welcome help. Moreover, we need coordination about where to store the
> information. I believe it does make sense to start from scratch and
> then, after a given cut off date, discuss with -www how to migrate the
> data to a more stable place. (Or, better, given that sometimes distro
> appear and disappear, we might say that they will be moved to www.d.o
> after a while.)

I tend to disagree with moving the derivatives pages off the wiki, as
it requires derivatives to go through -www to change information about
themselves.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)