Re: live-installer, jockey, usb-creator, simple-ccsm...

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:19:15 +0100
Clement Lefebvre <debian@linuxmint.com> wrote:
> The second thing is about the live-installer. We mentioned it was
> designed with Debian in mind and developed in a way that it could be
> adopted by other distributions, including Debian itself. Ikey, could you
> go through the configuration of the installer and how it would be useful
> to others? We'll probably end up with forks on github.com and that's
> cool (that way we'll all merge what we like and leave what we don't
> need), but if anyone identifies changes related to branding... i.e.
> things that are Mint specific and shouldn't be there, please don't
> hesitate to give me a shout so we can remove them or package them
> separately.

==Branding of live-installer==
The only branding as such within live-installer comes from its images
and the configuration file. For branding purposes the following images
would require replacement:
   /usr/share/live-installer/live.png
   /usr/share/live-installer/live.svg
   /usr/share/icons/live-installer.png
   /usr/share/icons/live-installer.xpm

The first two icons are used inside the installer, the last two are used
for menus (XPM for older menu systems). The desktop shortcut is copied
automatically by live-* packages, by taking on the same filename as the
.desktop provided by Ubiquity.
   /usr/share/applications/live-installer-launcher.desktop

==Configuration of live-installer==
All configuration of live-installer is done via its config file, located:
   /etc/live-installer/install.conf
Here is the contents of the one we use:
   # Defines the distribution name and version..
   [distribution]
   DISTRIBUTION_NAME=Linux Mint Debian Edition
   DISTRIBUTION_VERSION=1.0
   # Installation specific paths etc.
   [install]
   LIVE_MEDIA_SOURCE = /live/image/casper/filesystem.squashfs
   LIVE_MEDIA_TYPE	= squashfs
   LIVE_USER_NAME = mint

The DISTRIBUTION_* fields are used to brand the installer. the LIVE_ fields
are very important. LIVE_MEDIA_SOURCE tells live-installer exactly where it
can find the compressed filesystem when its running from the live medium, and
LIVE_MEDIA_TYPE tells live-installer which format to expect the file to be in,
for mounting purposes. LIVE_USER_NAME also had to be present in our case as
the installer removes the live-user from the target system. (We fought many
live-* bugs)

==Launching live-installer==
The installer can be launched via several means. Assuming the live-medium
contains a modern desktop such as Gnome, KDE or Xfce, the live-installer-launcher.desktop
file can be used to launch it. Alternatively one can use the script found at
   /usr/bin/live-installer
This is the traditional windowed installer, which runs from the live desktop.
However another method of execution exists, provided by /etc/init.d/live-installer.
If one was to provide the boot parameters "install text", then live-installer launches
full-screen with no live desktop. "text" is required to disable the display manager,
and "install" activates the following script:
   /usr/lib/live-installer/standalone-dm.py
At the moment it is a very simple script, doing the minimum amount of effort required
to launch X and metacity. We needed a Window Manager present as the installer does
make use of dialogs on occassion. This script could very easily be modified to suit
the needs of lighter distributions, i.e. those using Xfce or OpenBox.

==Room for improvement==
Due to the relatively new nature of the project, the package removal etc. is hardcoded
into /usr/lib/live-installer/installer.py presently making it suitable only for Debian
systems and its derivatives. However, it would be incredibly easy to either rewrite the
calls that are made, or even modify the package to call an external script/library for
OO-orientated package management, which could be further implemented by each distro
using it for their specific needs

I hope I've covered the rebranding/configuration stage in enough detail, if not please
tell me what exactly you are wanting to know and I'll reply asap.

Kind Regards,
Ikey Doherty <ikey@linuxmint.com>