Re: Introductions

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:43:30AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> I integrated Ubuntu's acpi-support into Debian to make my laptop of the
> time suspend correctly and I had there some first-hand experience on how
> to maintain in Debian a package where Ubuntu is upstream. On several
> occasions I posted to debian-devel to find maintainers for software that
> Ubuntu has developed (desktopcouch, indicators-*).

I personally do not know these packages but seeking for maintainers is
comparable to RFP (Request For Packaging) bugs to WNPP (Work Needing and
Prospective Packages).  It mostly fails, because maintainers are mostly
busy with their own stuff and hard to convince to just do some favour to
anybody.  The more effective way is to ITP (Intend To Package) and do
the stuff yourself - so in the sense what other posters said in this
thread:  I would really encourage maintainers of Ububtu packages which
are not in Debian to ITP their packages and seeking for a sponsor.
Usually this is a more successful way and in Debian as a Do-O-cracy the
doer decides what gets done (and not those who are waiting until
somebody else has done the work).  In the past several people who were
spnsored applied for a DM status and IMHO it would be a nice criterion
to fast-track DM status if somebody has maintained packages in Ubuntu
for years.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--