Debian presence at UDS - brief report

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 05:06:01PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I plan to attend the usual session about the relationship among Debian
> and Ubuntu, a session which is usually attended by DDs which happen to
> work with Ubuntu or for Canonical. Something very similar happened last
> time and I've reported about it [1].

So, after some delay (sorry about that, life's hard at times :)), here
are some of my notes from the session of collaboration with Debian which
I've attended at UDS. You can find attached the minutes took during the
session; the corresponding blueprint [1] on the Ubuntu side is unchanged
from last UDS (or at least it is as far as I understand Ubuntu
procedures about blueprints ...).

All in all, I've stressed the main point of collaboration as they were
reported to me about 6 months ago, namely: mixed team is the most
welcome form of collaboration; we generally welcome bug forwarding as
long as they have been reasonably triaged to establish they apply to
Debian (usual downstream -> upstream relationship work flow); we welcome
discussion of big changes that potentially affect all distros to happen
with Debian before pushing them out.

Other specific technical points have been discussed and in particular
there is an action item for the Ubuntu side to verify how Debian
Developer interested in syncing their own package to Ubuntu at the right
moment™ can obtain that easily. This one was a pretty common request I
received in view of past UDS, which as of today is still to be
implemented.

Sorry for the brevity of the report, feel free to complete it if you
attended the session, and/or to ask for more specific topics that I
might have overlooked here.

Cheers.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubuntutheproject-community-n-debian-healthcheck

Agenda

mixed teams - good
big changes - discussion with Debian
bugs *triaged* and forwarded - good

- ubuntu derivatives to be invited on derivatives@debian.org (as [transitive]
  Debian derivatives)

- lighting talk at UDS to advertise a bit the Derivatives Front Desk (jcastro
  will do) (maybe also a note about the upstream guide?
  http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide)

- Debian Derivatives list: http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/

  - Invite Ubuntu derivatives to participate (jcastro)

- upstream coordination
  - http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide
  - Jorge to double check upstream stuff on the Ubuntu side

Jorge Castro: Developers with feet in Debian and Ubuntu:
http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/977240439

jcastro will look into getting DD keys associated with LP accounts so they can
use requestsync.

 * be careful about autocreating accounts rather than just accepting signed
   mails or something

jcastro to look for a debian participation in UDD stakeholder meeting

idea: can we have a list of packages where collaboration is failing? *ubuntu62
is worse than *ubuntu2; -1ubuntu1 is better than -0ubuntu1; ...

Work items from maverick:
Work items for maverick-alpha-3:
[jorge] emphasize more when Ubuntu developers are merging to put Debian into
their workflow: DONE
[jorge] setup a front desk for Debian developers (sync requests, questions)
(note:adding this info to existing places and pages): POSTPONED

Work items for maverick-beta-1:
[jorge] increase the level of pressure on Ubuntu developers: to push stuff
upstream, to discuss big changes in Debian first, to package in Debian first/at
the same time (possibly in experimental): DONE

Work items:
[dholbach] emphasize Debian in the sponsorship checklist: DONE
[jonobacon] talk to canonical platform about packages being heavily modified
without feedback/collab: TODO
[dholbach] talk to debian people for UDW: DONE
[james-w] talk to launchpad people about exposing history through UDD (perhaps
a srcpkg2html tool for patch-tracker.debian.org?): POSTPONED
[lucas] Set up poll to ask Debian for a better way to request syncs.: DONE
[vorlon] document RFA bugs as the recommended procedure for finding Debian
maintainers for new packages introduced in Ubuntu first: TODO
[james-w] talks to LP to improve/replace patches.ubuntu.com: POSTPONED
[brian-murray] Talk to lp about expose open bugs with patches in LP +text
interface (LP:#344054): DONE
[kitterman] re-re-check documentation about merging and packaging new stuff +
sponsorship checklist (probably OK, but...): DONE
[dholbach] setup common IRC channel on Freenode (most DDs are also on
Freenode): DONE