Migrating debbugs' SOAP interface to JSON

Dear debbugs Developers,

I'm Bastian the developer of python-debianbts, the library that is used by reportbug to query the BTS.

First of all, I'm really happy that we have an API that allows to query the BTS, and the current interface is *a lot* better than the HTML parsing that we did 10 years ago. However, while SOAP was state of the art a while ago, it has it's limitations. The most severe one for us: it's getting harder and harder to find libraries that parse SOAP properly in Python and trying to parse SOAP replies "by hand" seems daunting.

Also there are a lot of bugs related to parsing the SOAP replies from the BTS and it is not always clear if the problem is the BTS or the library that tries to parse the SOAP reply. My feeling having worked with SOAP, it is unpleasant and messy.

Since our API is already nicely structured, I wonder if we couldn't switch on the long run to something like JSON? JSON can be easily created and parsed in many languages and makes debugging a lot easier.

Unfortunately I don't speak Perl, so I can't really help you with the server side implementation, but I'd be willing to help as much as possible testing anything that helps to get away from SOAP.

If there's a general willingness to move that direction, I propose an incremental approach where we create a second API with JSON replies for each endpoint, one by one and I implement the corresponding parser for each new endpoint. We could run both APIs in parallel for a while and turn of the old one once we're sufficiently confident that reportbug works properly.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Dr. Bastian Venthur                                  http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org