Re: co-mentor for a GSoC proposal wanted: debbugs web submission

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 07:59:02PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > This feature has to be implemented as an add on module to debbugs or
> > entirely separately. It can use the Debbugs:: modules if it must, but
> > it really should pull any information it requires using the soap
> > interface so it doesn't have to run on b.d.o.
>
> My idea was more about implementing it entirely separately from
> debbugs just using an email as the final mechanism for web
> submission (as you suggested).

Cool.

> Actually, I was not aware of the soap interface, I was only aware of an
> ldap interface. As I said, I'm more proposing it on the "frontend" side
> and I'm needing more knowledge on the "backend" side. Questions:
> - can you give me a pointer to the details of the SOAP interface?

It's still in development, but: #377520; I'm planning on adding new
features for interaction with debbugs as people request them. [The
main reason why you want to use the soap interface instead of the ldap
is that it will always be up to date with the BTS, and it reduces the
external dependencies.]

> - assuming the entirely separately implementation I had in mind, do
> you have any other additional requirement on how to interact with
> debbugs beside mail for submission and SOAP for info retrieval?

Those are the main ones; I may think of some later, but that's pretty
much how reportbug works now.

Don Armstrong

--
Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but
that's not why we do it.