From: Brian J Densmore <brian@amason.net>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: exim4-config dpkg missing exim4.conf.template?

Short story:

I tried to upgrade my exim3 to exim4. This is a partial result:

dpkg: exim: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 courier-imap depends on exim4 | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package exim4 is not installed.
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package exim which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
  Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not installed.
 mailx depends on exim4 | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package exim4 is not installed.
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package exim which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
  Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not installed.
 mutt depends on exim4 | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package exim4 is not installed.
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package exim which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
  Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not installed.
(Reading database ... 27688 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing exim ...
Selecting previously deselected package exim4-config.
(Reading database ... 27626 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking exim4-config (from .../exim4-config_4.50-8_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package exim4-base.
Unpacking exim4-base (from .../exim4-base_4.50-8_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package exim4-daemon-heavy.
Unpacking exim4-daemon-heavy (from .../exim4-daemon-heavy_4.50-8_i386.deb) ...
Setting up exim4-config (4.50-8) ...
Error: Unsplit config selected and /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template missing ... exiting
dpkg: error processing exim4-config (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of exim4-base:
 exim4-base depends on exim4-config (>= 4.30) | exim4-config-2; however:
  Package exim4-config is not configured yet.
  Package exim4-config-2 is not installed.
  Package exim4-config which provides exim4-config-2 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing exim4-base (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of exim4-daemon-heavy:
 exim4-daemon-heavy depends on exim4-base (>= 4.50); however:
  Package exim4-base is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing exim4-daemon-heavy (--configure):
 exim4-config
 exim4-base
 exim4-daemon-heavy

Longer story:

I had a hdd crash on an older system. So I built a new disk with current debian install cds. This new build I installed exim 4 by mistake. So, I removed exim4 and installed exim 3, restored my configuration files
from backup. I then tried to upgrade to exim4, with the above result.
I've gone back to exim 3. I may be missing something here, since exim4
installed originally, but now won't.

Thanks,

Brian