Storage Mechanism question...

Folks,

I have a question regarding the storage mechanism used for debbugs..i
understand everything is kept on flat files...my question is-how come
http://bugs.debian.org has such good response times?

i mean we were all taught that flat files are slower than an RDBMS as a
rule..and also that plain CGI/Perl is slower,cannot fork many processes
blah blah..

How is it that searches are so fast?turbocharged hardware??

BTW,has anybody considered using XML for storage?we don't need a database
and the advantage is that many third party tools can integrate with
debbugs since data is anyway exchanged in XML

So , for example if anybody is intrested in a JAVA swing front end or a
python/tk FE-all he has to do is study the XML schema..what do u think?

Regards,
Ivan