Re: tag2upload (git-debpush) service architecture - draft

On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 16:22:19 +0100, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Thu 01 Aug 2019 at 02:35PM +02, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > This argument seems very counter-intuitive. This assumes a
> > Debian-archive-centric world-view, where most of the heavy lifting is
> > delegated to some external service. But the reality is that most
> > maintainers, and other external parties handling Debian sources do
> > need to handle actual source packages. Requiring people to setup an
> > equivalent to the Debian archive + dgit service + tag2upload "locally"
> > just so that they can reduce their cognitive load, seems to be pretty
> > much the opposite to the above stated goal TBH.
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure all that local setup would be needed.  You can start
> with `dgit clone` and work from there.

That was my point. This only works as long as there's such package in
the Debian archive. A Debian source package does not imply it will be
in Debian. There are many parties that do use and work with these too.
Ranging from local packages of unpublished stuff, packages for public
things not intended for Debian, packaging overlays from third-parties,
etc.

> More generally, I think we should aim to replace the use of source
> packages in all those places too, but there are lots of unsolved
> problems there.  I don't think anyone knows what things are going to
> look like.

The more I've been considering this the more I think this would be a
monumental mistake. I'm pondering about a new workflow proposal where
I'll expand on this.

Thanks,
Guillem