Re: tag2upload (git-debpush) service architecture - draft

Hello,

On Wed 31 Jul 2019 at 10:53PM +01, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:

> Do "complicated and inconvenient" mean "harder to remember than 'git
> debpush'" (which could equally well be fixed by a local-only script),
> the confusing errors mentioned below, or something else?

It's a qualitative claim about what it is like to use the tools.  We
think that use of git-debpush imposes much less Debian-specific
cognitive load on package maintainers.  They are just signing and
pushing a git tag.

I do not believe that a script which just runs the two commands will
achieve that.

> On 31/07/2019 20:21, Sean Whitton wrote:
>
>> Just fyi, it is indeed as simple as [dgit push-source && git push --all --follow-tags].  However, when
>> there are errors, it is quite a bit harder to understand what's going on
>> than it is with git-debpush/tag2upload, basically because there are
>> .dscs involved.
>
> If git debpush / tag2upload have better error handling, could that code
> be used to improve dgit push-source?

The sense in which git-debpush & tag2upload have better error handling
is just that the user's computer is not responsible for any .dsc
manipulation.  This makes it easier to have the correct mental model of
what's going on, and thus what went wrong.

As soon as .dsc generation is happening on the user's machine, you
introduce a whole load of stuff which the user has to incorporate into
their mental model of what's going on with the command they just typed.

You and I basically already have all that stuff in our heads because
we've been doing Debian stuff for a while.  We want experienced
contributors to be able to discard it, and new contributors not have to
learn it.

>> (I don't think we'd want to make git-debpush a wrapper for that because
>> it is not a pure git command, so shouldn't be in the git-* namespace.)
>
> I'm fine with calling it something else (though I find it weird that 'do
> X' isn't OK but 'ask a server to do X' is): suggestions?

I'm not really convinced that we should upload to the archive a shell
script which simply executes one dgit command followed by one git
command.  A shell alias in .bashrc seems appropriate.  I've one of
those, called 'debrel', since you asked :)

--
Sean Whitton