Supporting semantic formats for meta-data would be interesting - Was: Re: [GSoC] Using a messaging system to interface the different parts of Debian infrastructure

Hi.

(As I'm not following discussion outside of debian-qa, CC-ing all
parties... sorry for duplicates)

Nicolas Dandrimont <nicolas.dandrimont@crans.org> writes:

> One of the key outcomes of getting such a system in place, is that everyone,
> everywhere, can start listening to the messages and using them, opening up lots
> of doors for people to make amazing services based on Debian.
>
> A few ideas:
>  - getting a signal from the archive on an accepted package (I'm confusing
>    binaries and sources for the sake of brevity):
>    → Trigger a piuparts run
>    → Trigger lintian checks
>    → Let any derivative intent a rebuild
>    → Signal ports to rebuild
>    → Trigger a jenkins job on specific package uploads
>    → Post to pump.io/identi.ca/twitter
>    → get a notification on your desktop
>    → ...
>  - one of your pet packages gets a git commit
>    → try a rebuild
>    → run QA checks
>    → ...
>
> (boy, that escalated quickly)

Great ideas.

Let me add a few comments.

I'm not sure how data circulates on those systems (and have probably
been sleeping during the Lightning Talk last week when Michael Scherrer
introduced FedMesg...).

I think that it would be great, for maximum interoperability (derivative
distros, upstreams, others), if the data about Debian artifacts could be
using semantic formats such as the one I've tried to add to the PTS [0].

So in addition to offering anyone (inside or outside Debian) the
possibility to interface with the events happening in that
infrastructure, it would convey non-ambiguous semantics out of the box.

So, instead of mentioning an upload about "apache2" (a string that is
supposed to deal represent a source package of the Apache 2 HTTP
server), a message could reference
<http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#project> which is a
dereferenceable URI (see http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/apache2.ttl)
where meta-data about that source package is available.

(Note that URI conventions could be changed of course, i.e. for
shortening purposes, but the idea is to have something accessible,
parseable, semantic and auto-described along the principles of Linked
Data).

With a tiny extra burden (encoding meta-data as RDF, for instance as
Turtle), it may save the cost of convertors / translators for those
wishing to interface with it.

See my presentation at [1] for more details (hopefully a video capture
will be uploaded soon).

Feel free to ask if that doesn't sound crystal clear.

Best regards,

[0] http://packages.qa.debian.org/common/RDF.html
[1] https://distro-recipes.org/en/lightning/metadata-and-traceability/
--