Re: UTF-8 problem in db/dak interaction

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@varnish-software.com> writes:
> with current git maste and a .changes file with an ø in it, I get the
> following:
>
> dak@trident:/srv/dak/queue/new$ dak process-new varnish-agent_1.16.0_source.changes
[...]
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 15: ordinal not in range(128)

I get something similar on my desktop in the university too.  Here it
already happens in process-upload:

---
Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
  File "/home/aburchar/projects/dak/dak/daklib/dbconn.py", line 1438, in get_or_set_maintainer
    ret = q.one()
[...]
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2958, in _fetchall_impl
    return self.cursor.fetchall()
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
---

That computer runs some version of Ubuntu with python 2.7:

% dpkg -l python python-sqlalchemy
ii  python            2.7.3-0ubuntu2
ii  python-sqlalchemy 0.7.4-1ubuntu0.1

As squeeze still has 2.6 and this problem doesn't seem to occur on
ftpmaster, I would suspect changes in python 2.7 regarding handling of
Unicode.  Which version of Python did you try?

Ansgar