Re: UTF-8 problem in db/dak interaction

On Tue, 20, Nov, 2012 at 03:56:30PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt spoke thus..
> Hi,
>
> there seems to be already a workaround for Unicode issues in
> daklib/dbconn.py, but it is only used with sqlalchemy 0.6. Could you try
> the attached patch?
>
> A better workaround might be setting client_encoding[1], but I am not
> sure what ends in the database. However maybe we should just require
> that the database uses the UTF-8 encoding instead of an unspecified one.

We considered this once before but at the time, whatever was stable
still had some none-UTF-8 valid maintainer fields / names in the keyring
table etc.  I haven't looked in a while though.

I'd certainly not object to requiring all new input to be UTF-8 and
rejecting based on that.

Of course, we'll have to check lots of things such as contents
information, control info for Packages/Sources etc...

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mhy at debian dot org>

"I never make predictions.  I never have and I never will."
     Tony Blair