dak and maemo

Hello,

My name is Jeremiah Foster and I work with the debian-perl team helping to maintain packages in debian. I also maintain the swedish package.

Recently I have been working with the maemo.org team helping them with packaging and other debian related issues. maemo is a debian- derived distribution from Nokia designed to run on internet tablets. One of the things maemo is thinking of doing is moving to dak to maintain its repositories. dak seems to do the things we need it to do. We have about a hundred packages incoming daily, we do today anyway, and a little over 1500 packages total in the current distribution with the belief that more will be coming in. It is hard to estimate how big maemo's repos will ultimately be, but 10,000 packages seems unlikely while 2,000 seems possible this year.

We think dak might be the right tool for the job, but I have been scared off a little by many of the warnings in the various README files and by the lack of documentation. I am happy to help in those regards, in fact, I have set up a dak HowTo page on the debian wiki though there is not much there yet. I realize that dak is an internal debian tool, perhaps never designed for use outside of debian, but as more projects use debian and debs, maybe dak should be better documented for use outside of debian?

	Is dak what we want to use?

	Thanks,

Jeremiah