Re: about commit debian-edu r40399

El jue, 28-02-2008 a las 11:35 +0100, Andreas Tille escribió:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
>
> > I do fully agree with you. I don't feel confortable with that hack nor
> > with the way I've included the icons for the menu branches. I've opted
> > for the 'known to work correctly today' solution, but more ellegant and
> > robust solutions should be found.
>
> I can perfectly cope with a "works for the moment" solution.  I just
> wanted to trigger a discussion in which direction to move development.

Perfect

> > Anyway, your doubts link with the message I sent last week to the
> > debian-custom mailing list. Obviously this is something to be done on
> > cdd. My doubts are that maybe the option of choosing between a
> > recommendation or a dependency should be implemented. For this case, it
> > should be recommends, but maybe we should leave open both options for
> > future implementations.
>
> I agree that we might need both Depends and Recommends (perhaps even
> suggests), but in this specific case I wonder what harm will be done
> if we Depends from the menu stuff.  I would regard it important enough
> to Depend from it.  Do you see any strong reason to be able to remove
> the menu package?

I have not a strong opinion on it, but from a purist point of view, any
of the metapackages work perfectly without the menu packages, so it's
not a dependency. On the other hand the menu package produces no effects
unless the user is added to the right groups (students or teachers in
this case), so any other user won't see any effect with him. We can say
that the package won't hurt if installed, but I don't see it as a real
dependency.

> > On the other hand, as this email goes also to debian-custom, maybe we
> > could also work on taking this freedesktop menu changes to cdd, together
> > with the debian menu changes you've already done. Actually, I don't know
> > if freedesktop menus changes make sense in other cdd's, but if they do,
> > looking for common points would save work for we all.
>
> It _definitely_ makes a strong reason and I would have implemented
> it long before if I would have had enough knowledge about this before.
> I also putted debian-custom in CC in my first mail because I think it
> should be discussed here.  I even stopped CCing debian-edu which I
> only included because the problem occured in the debian-edu source
> package.

Perfect, then I think we should begin to work on it. I don't know how
you would like to do it. You know much better the insides of cdd and
where to "touch" to do things. Also, once it's done, the menu package is
pretty simple and easy to understand. Anyway, there is a part that I can
not see how to automate, and should be done by hand: selecting where you
want to put the applications and removing them from the menu branches
where the original package put them. So, in brief, I don't have any idea
about how to begin to do it, so I'm open to any opinion and ready to
help and work on it.

Regards.
José L.