Re: Name poll (Was: New name: Call for opinions)

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 09:03:37AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I apologise in advance for sending a negative email, but…

hardly seems negative, but a valid critique...

> Le Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> >
> >    Debian Pure Blends            16 votes
> >    Debian Spins                  14 votes
> >    Integrated Debian Projects    12 votes
> >    Debian Slice                  12 votes
> >
> >>   http://doodle.ch/ggey86bvqnmcnuyb
>
> I personnaly dislike "Blend", but will not oppose if I am only part of a
> small minority.
>
> Before this discussion, I did not know what a blend is, apart that it is
> used for whiskies. I checked the dictionary, and its fundamental meaning
> is a mixture of different things. I strongly recommend to try to write
> down an explanation of what a Debian Pure Blend is and to translate it
> in a few languages before adopting it: I personnaly do not know how to
> explain that it is a mixture that contains only one ingredient.

this was my primary concern with it as well.. blend intrinsicly means
mixing things together.. though i eventually conceeded to it for lack of
anything significantly better.

the "Pure" in Debian Pure Blends meaning purely debian. this allows for
blends that aren't pure, possibly containing things from other
sources... Contaminated Debian Blends, for example :)

with all the energy going into naming this concept (multiple years of
discussion), i think it is more important to find an acceptible name
than a perfect one.

though i'd rather have a Slice of pie. :)

live well,
  vagrant