Best way to generate locales on CDD

The CDD I'm working on must support several locales after installation.
Package locales is being included in the package list. I've preseeded it
using

locales         locales/default_environment_locale  select
es_ES.UTF-8
locales         locales/locales_to_be_generated     multiselect \
                en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8, es_ES.UTF-8 UTF-8, es_VE.UTF-8 UTF-8

however, the locales are _not_ being generated. After the install
finishes, I have to _manually_ fix /etc/locale.gen and then run
locale-gen for these locales to be properly generated. Is there a
different way of doing this?

Maybe adding

d-i preseed/late_command in-target locale-gen

could help, but /etc/locale.gen must have the right contents...
--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - Linux 2.6.18 i686 - Unix: Live free or die!
Geek by nature, Linux by choice, Debian of course.