Re: Missing required package is not missing?

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 10:05:36AM -0400, Ernesto Hernandez-Novich wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 16:05 -0700, vagrant@freegeek.org wrote:
> > the only thing in your profile is profiles/ci3725.packages:
> >
> > alex
> > happy
> > haddock
> > ghc6
> >
> > correct?
>
> Yes. If I remove ghc6, works.
>
> I tried adding some libghc6-*-dev packages (which depend on ghc6)
> _without_ adding ghc6 to the list... and the error persists, but this
> time it complains about the libghc6-*-dev packages missing.

ok, figured this out by adding all the dependencies of ghc6 to
profiles/ci3725.downloads ... this revealed that libreadline5-dev, which
is a dependency of ghc6, couldn't be resolved. though i could have
skipped this step by just doing the next step...

looking at tmp/cd-build/etch/log.list2cds.i386, noticed that
libreadline5-dev wasn't being included because it depended on libc-dev,
which is a provides of libc6-dev.

so, the dependency on a provides without an alternate dependency on a
real package did in fact turn out to be a culprit.

add libc6-dev to profiles/ci3725.downloads (or .packages) and it should
work.

will spend some time trying to get provides support, but it's tricky.

live well,
  vagrant