Re: Converting a debian-custom CD to another media

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 09:36:25PM +0100, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Is there some way to turn a custom CD into another media ?
>
> For USB disk, the procedure  is given into the installation manual and
> is pretty simple. But for example, for a network install ?

Se some previous posts of mine. What you'd need for a network
installation from a loop-mounted CD image:

1. The kernel and initrd need to be provided through standard network
booting procedures (e.g: through pxelinux and tftp). They have to be
placed under the tftp root, and thus I preferred not to try at all to
get them from the CD itself.

2. You need to add two extra kernel packages for the installer kernel:
the initrd of the CD installer includes support for IDE, whereas the
network installer does not include it. As noone asks for those extra
packages, they are not even availble in the mirror.

Symptom: no local hard disk availble and thus "no partiitonable media".

Solution: add the packages of the sort of

  ide-modules-2.6.17-2-386-di
  ide-modules-extra-2.6.17-2-386-di

(I don't recall the exact name) to profile/default.downloads

3. Signed repository: network sources have to be signed in order for apt
to install packages.

Symptom: failed installation of grub after debootstrap. This is because
grub & co. are the first to be installed by a chroot-ed 'apt-get
install'.

Solution: Haven't found a real good one. Either to make sure that the
repository on the CD is signed (which takes quite a few changes) *and*
supply the key somehow (I eventually recreated the package
debian-archive-keyring-di : keys from it will eventually propagate to
the installed system).

I haven't found an optimal solution for that.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir@jabber.org