simple-cdd plans (was: preparing for a new simple-cdd release)

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 07:42:04PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 12/2/06, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org> wrote:
...snip...
> >hopefully, with a little more testing, we will see an upload to debian
> >soon.
>
> Let us make clear that it seems that we've missed the Etch boat, but
> stuff will be pretty much in a better shape for Lenny if us keep the
> work. I'll do my best, and i need to (really).

right. though i plan to keep simple-cdd backportable to etch, or
maintain a backported branch for as long as reasonably possible.

...snip...
> >feedback would definitely be appreciated. if you want to give it a try,
> >on an etch system:
>
> There's a new donut for you in my branch (the splashpng stuff). I'll
> add some more minor changes after i bring back my test system,
> hopefully sometime soon this week.

merged.

> >there's a few changes i'd like to finish soon, mentioned in the TODO
> >file.
>
> There's one we've ignored that is related with the default profiles
> that are in our bzr branches. I've 3 profiles and of course almost all
> the packages i need are listed into default.packages. You've some
> profiles and just a few stuff on default.packages. Shouldn't we change
> how the 'default' profile stuff works? I think it's better let the
> user define if he's using a alternate 'default', got it? That way we
> both can keep our default* stuff. Thoughts?

ah, yes. this is a good idea.

i wanted to keep the "default" profile handling as similar to other
profiles as possible, with the main difference being that the default
profile always gets installed- this is why there isn't much in the
default profile.

you might be able to get what you need by creating a simple-cdd.conf,
and profiles directory, building and installing the simple-cdd package,
and running /usr/share/simple-cdd/build-simple-cdd from the directory
simple-cdd.conf is in, and replace the profiles/default.* with your
preferred defaults. build-simple-cdd will grab anything missing from
/usr/share/simple-cdd/ when run this way.

i'm open to ideas and patches of other ways to handle this, though.

live well,
  vagrant