Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:39:31 -0500 (EST)
From: lloyd@paisite.com
To: tillea@rki.de
Subject: Debian Creative Arts Collection

Hi Andreas,

I've been trying to post this to debian-custom@lists.debian.org, but
for some reason it doesn't get through. First time I had wrong address,
but I double-checked last two sends.

My ISP has been a bit flaky of late, so problem may be at my end. Please
feel free to post to debian-custom if it doesn't show up in next 24 hours.

Anyway, FYI...

Was: Custom Debian Distribution for Creative Artists and Wannabes

Hi,

Here is the evolving list of packages that I plan to evaluate for the
Debian Creative Arts Collection CDD. The goal is to enable creative
artists with minimal technical background to:

-- draw, paint, import, scan, animate, manipulate, print and burn images
-- maintain a photo album/collection
-- create a logo
-- design and layout a brochure
-- write a novel, video or film script, broadway play, term paper, or thesis
-- create, record, mix, burn simple sound tracks with music and voice
-- edit a music video
-- create and maintain a website
-- surf the web
-- chat with friends
-- create a business presentation
-- rip a CD
-- create and download an MP3
-- watch a DVD
-- burn a CD or CVD
-- create and print a CD label and cover

In other words, a well-rounded toolkit for creative communication in
images, words, and sound.

In each expressive area I'd like at least two tools: one easiest possible
to learn and use and the second maximally powerful for professional work.

Additions/substitutions welcomed. I particularly need suggestions for
video editors, media players, CD/DVD rippers and burners, music and sound
tools, nifty little utilities that do amazing things:

albumshaper
audacity
autotrace
blender
bluefish
bootsplash
camediaplay
cdlabelgen
cdrecord
cups and drivers
dia
gaim
galrey
gimp and selected plug-ins
ghostscript
GNOME desktop (or other)
gpe-julia
graphismagik (and/or imagemagik)
grunch
gsumi
inkscape
k3d
ktoon
lyx
mkisofs
mozilla firefox
open-clipart
Open Office
tuxpaint
SANE Scanner
scribus
Xmcd CD Player

I'm very concerned about ease-of-use; particularly installation, setting
up user accounts, printer and scanner configuration, etc.

At this point I'm feeling a bit over my head but, in a week or two, plan
to dig in, study the docs, and see what I can make happen.

Again, I welcome any and all input.

All the best,

Lloyd R. Prentice