Packages with configuration for other packages

Hi,

For some time I am seeking for a way to store, inside a package,
configuration settings for other packages.  By indication of this list
I have looked into cfengine but I don't like to swap configuration
files by links or the limited capacity to comment or append lines into
a text file.

Now I am working in a solution with small scripts and patchs files,
and using dpatch.  I know dpatch is to apply patches into upstream
sources, but I have made it work, using "--workdir /", and a fake
debian dir inside "/etc/package".  The scripts will be executed by the
admin and not by postint during installation, so violating one less
rule of the Debian Policy :)

I hope in the next days to present a working example.  For now I would
like to ask to the list:

  - Have anyone used patchs to change configuration files?  Used
  something better than dpatch to manage them?

  - Have anyone other ideas, pro or cons, about my approach to the
  problem?

       TIA
   José Calhariz

--
Namorada é a versao shareware da esposa.