(meta) configuration functionality (was: CDD-package inside of Debian or out?)

[Reply to a message originally posted on debian-edu@]

Am Friday 20 May 2005 16:06 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> Only solution as I see it is that Debian adopts metaquestions like
> "which sound daemon to use as default (if any)?" - similarly to the
> current choice of desktop manager (between KDM, GDM and XDM).

For a start it should be enough to introduce such meta settings within a
configuration management tool or system. Such as CFG or the "tweaks".

> "tweaks" not because I want them to last, but because I want
> our interim hacks to be easily adoptable by package maintainers!

The approaches to allow this seem similar. Providing *functionality* to
change/manage configuration on the installed system according to rules.

From a short glimpse I could not tell how modularized "tweaks" are. I.e. if
maintanance of config file syntax-specific things and default settings for
example can be separated.

It's probably a good idea to go with whatever we can get a broad consensus and
support with.

If a common debian-custom effort could contemplate to also include the needs
of GUI end-users, scripting admins, even app developers and other distros
there are already some developers that wanted to start dcontrol along the
original CFG ideas for debian.
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianControlCenter

-Christian