Re: CDD-package inside of Debian or out? (WAS: Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!)

El Wed, May 18, 2005 at 05:13:13PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard va escriure:
> >   Of course if a derived distribution prefers to have it's own repository it
> >   can have its description package outside Debian and use the same tools that
> >   CDD use, but the idea about Custom Debian Distributions has always been that
> >   they should be included on the Debian distribution.
>
> That the actual distribution should be included within the Debian? Like
> "Debian ships its main distribution consisting of 2-3 DVDs 1st of june
> and expects to ship its Skolelinux distribution a few weeks after that"?

  Why a few weeks after? The idea is that the skolelinux-cdd package that can
  be used to install and generate special installation systems for Skolelinux
  would be shipped with the main distribution, that is all. If the CDD package
  is not ready for a release it can be left out with an RC bug and provided
  from another source, maybe from an archive built on http://cdd.debian.org/,
  it is not so important, IMHO.

> My idea is that the moment all parts of a CDD is part of Debian, the CDD
> has become irrelevant: The main Debian distribution is then able to do
> all of the CDD itself.

  Sure, but you need to provide your package selections and the customizations
  scripts, that's what I want to include on Debian, that is, one CDD equals
  one deb.

> I mean - until Debian asks only a couple of non-geeky questions by
> default in order to roll out a system usable as a school network,
> Skolelinux will continue to generate its own CD-based distro _outside_
> of Debian, and while it makes sense to include the _generator_ of CDDs
> (cddtool) it does not make sense to clutter the Debian package pool with
> "sample uses of the cddtool distro-generator". Those fit better as files
> below /usr/share/doc/cddtool/examples/ IMHO.

  Having your definition inside the Debian package pool doesn't mean you
  should not have your own repositories with custom debian-installers, but
  maybe some CDDs would not need them if we can provide a way to install them
  using the standard d-i, i.e. allowing the net-install system to download the
  .udebs needed by a CDD on the first stage or providing a way to distribute
  xdeltas of the Debian installer with the small changes needed to install the
  CDD from the Debian mirrors.

> >>So I suggest changing the current definition of CDD (as described at
> >>http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian ) from currently reading
> >>"all extras they offer will either become part of Debian, or are
> >>temporary workarounds" to add "except what is relevant to the CDD only
> >>(selection of packages, unique config tweaks, custom logo and so on)".
> >

> >   I believe the definition is right, if it has things outside Debian that are
> >   never going to be included then we are talking about a Derived Distribution,
> >   that is all, it can use and share almost everything with the Debian
> >   Distribution, but it is not 100% Debian.
>
> So Skolelinux is then just a "Cool Debian Derivative" and not a "Custom
> Debian Distribution" (due to including SUN Java)?

  Yes, with my definition it is not a CDD, but I don't see anything wrong with
  that.

> I believe that's not how they identify themselves (I am referring to
> them in third person because actually I agree with your definition even
> though I participate in their project).

  Why? Sun Java is not part of Debian, if they what to distribute it they are
  not following the DFSG in that aspect, so they are not fully inside the
  Debian project.

  To me there is no big problem, not being 100% Debian is not bad if there is
  a reason; I'm sure that debian-edu people would remove the Sun Java if we
  get a good enough JVM from the Harmony project, but maybe having a
  functional JVM is more important for the project NOW than beeing *pure*
  Debian.

Greetings,

  Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69