Re: custom branding and CDDs

Am Wednesday 06 October 2004 08:29 schrieb Andreas Tille:

> > variables? At some point the package maintainer is not going to be
> > happy with all this extra work. Does it make sense to abstract all
> > package's configuration variables into debconf? Can debconf handle it?
> > Should we be thinking of another way to abstract configuration?
>
> Surely not.  But do you *really* think that all CDDs are so different
> that we have to touch all these things you mentioned.  I guess there
> will be some work left for local administrators.  Perhaps we should
> start with an analysis what current CDDs have to change and try to
> estimate then if the debconf approach makes sense or if you are right
> here and debconf does not scale for our purpose.

Scaling is a good point. Even if debconf may scale for CDDs, wouldn't it be
desireable to have a method that also includes and scales to the full needs
of administrator's and users?

Micah did you have anything like the proposed dcontrol or CFG or yet something
else in mind that could do that?

Something that does not load the work so much on the individual package
maintainers but helps them and others to share functionality. (A package that
can handle configuration queries, editing, updates, defaults etc.)

Regards,
Christian

http://wiki.debian.net/DcontrolDraft
http://freedesktop.org/Software/CFG