Re: custom branding and CDDs

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Michael Banck wrote:

Introducing new features into packages is usually not acceptable for an
NMU, I would appreciate if you would first try to discuss this with the
maintainer, and failing that, with debian-devel.

Also, do you mean NMUs for a specific CDD, or just NMUs to improve the
CDD framework?
I mean NMUs if after filing a wishlist bug report and asking the maintainer
for cooperation by including the patch just nothing happened.  The normal
showstoppers for CDDs are currently that (few!) maintainers just refuse to
add a few debconf questions with lowest priority.  This would help to work
with pre-feeding these questions for a CDD but does no harm at all for
normal Debian packages.  This is no new feature.

The main problem is to increase the sensibility of maintainers to accept that
there is a certain need for preconfiguration which IMHO enhances the quality
of packages for Debian also in general.  Perhaps it was a little bit short
cutted wording in my previous mails and I hope that it was not interpreted
as an invitation to NMU for everybody.  The question is whether we might
gain some acceptance for an NMU if the only alternative would be a fork.

(You see that a proper wording is absolutely necessary ...)

Kind regards