Re: Gnome menu customization best practices?

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 15:14 -0500, Ian Murdock wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 20:38 +0200, Lluis wrote:
> > Another way to modify gnome's menus could be to edit files on
> > /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users/ (the WriteDir of
> > applications-all-users file), although the last time i checked this feature
> > it wasn't working... and got no documentation about it, so maybe it was
> > working but i didn't understand how to do it (should be checked again, maybe)
>
> FWIW, I too tried adding .desktop files
> to /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users/ and was unable to
> get them to show up (the changes either weren't visible or caused menu
> items to disappear entirely). Oddly enough, it seems to work for normal
> users--if you customize the menus using Nautilus (by going to
> applications:///, moving stuff around, renaming stuff, etc., it puts
> the changes in ~/.gnome/vfolders/applications/, and everything
> seems to work. So I'm not sure why the system-wide mechanism doesn't.

Correction: That's ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications/.

Hmm. Customizing the menus as a normal user creates a
~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications.vfolder-info (which presumably overrides
the defaults
in /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info.) I
haven't tried this yet, but perhaps one workaround is to put the
customized applications menu in /etc/skel/.gnome2/vfolders, which
would then be copied to each user's home directory, rather
than trying to change the system defaults. It's not pretty, but
neither is diverting a bajillion .desktop files. Also, it may
not deal with the preferences stuff, which I want to change too.

I'll play around a bit with this and report my experiences here.

--
Ian Murdock
317-578-8882 (office)

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of." --Ogden Nash