Re: custom branding and CDDs

El sáb, 02-10-2004 a las 11:20 -0500, Ian Murdock escribió:
> Hi everyone,
>
> To specify a theme, then, the custom distro builder supplies a package
> that "Provides" and "Conflicts" with "cl-branding", which gdm (and other
> packages that use this mechanism depend on to ensure some default
> branding is present), and places the appropriate files in the
> appropriate places. For example, the "progeny-branding" package (which
> provides branding for Progeny Debian 2.0) installs its default
> theme to /usr/share/gdm/themes/default. (The "Conflicts"
> ensures that only one package can provide the "default" theme.)

	I think it is quite improbable for mantainers of current packages to
support this. AFAICS it will involve creating a quite fat default
branding package "cl-branding" and making all the brand-able packages
depend on it, and consolidating on it all the default branding for all
the packages. This is not going to happen.

	I've been already thinking about that and found that the solution is
already developed, we can use the alternatives system already present in
Debian, so:

	- The GDM package can use by default the theme present
in /usr/share/gdm/default-gdm-theme and manage this entry with the
alternatives system.
	- It can provide the circles theme as a default one with a low
priority.
	- Everyone who can provide another theme can add it to the alternatives
system, a CDD can simply add its theme with a high priority.
	- CDD can also provide custom branding in a per package basis or for
all the packages it depends in an unique branding package.
	- Package mantainers will be less reluctant to add this system as it is
quite transparent.
	- This alternatives can be used the by other applications to locate
alternative brandings on the application level, I'm thinking at this
point on the menu for GTK+ themes on new gdm versions.

	But I'm not an alternatives guru, that's why I also call for comments
on this.

	Regards.

	Miguel A. Arévalo.