English usage: "that" vs. "which"

Regarding the following commits:

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 09:45, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Author: synrg
> Date: Sun Jul  4 06:45:34 2004
> New Revision: 221
... several files in cdd/trunk/doc/en ...
> Log:
> Mostly usage fixes, focusing on "that" vs. "which".  For a helpful
> reference sorting out which word to use, please see:
> http://www.english-usage.com/faq.html#fxthatvs

I would like to encourage everyone writing documentation for this
project and their own particular CDD projects to have on hand one or
more English usage guides to help prevent common errors.  In addition to
the above FAQ, I found an even better reference that offers quite
practical, easy to remember advice regarding this particular problem:

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/t.html#that

Please read this brief section on the problem and rules of thumb that
will help you avoid it.

I do not profess to be an expert in English usage myself.  The rampant
use of "which" where "that" ought to have been used went completely
unnoticed in my first editing pass.  I have therefore gone back to the
first sections I covered in order to fix this problem throughout the
document, up to the point where I left off editing.  In the remaining
chapters, I will be more careful to spot and correct this error as I go.

Happy documenting!

Ben