Re: Doc packages

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> IMHO code and docs NEED be relased together.
>
> If we change some issue in code, this should be updated in docs too.
In principle yes.
In practice I do not really like to increase the version number of the
docs after each bug fixed in the code (and I expect more of these bugs
once people start using it more ;-) ).
On the other hand increasing the version number of the code if nothing
has changed only because some paragraphs are added to the docs is not
really a good idea.  Or holding back version 1.0 because the docs are
not really finished seems to be a good thing.

I would like to fix this by just including a sentence in the introduction
which says something like:

    This doc covers the cdd package version x.y.

> at>    2. For the projects tree:  I wanted to merge the med-docs package
> at>       to SVN.  Now I'm facing the problem, that there is a "docs"
> at>       directory existent (which contains the menu helpers).  It would
> at>       be very confusing for users to have a docs and a doc directory.
>
> Why not move it to menu/docs/? ;-)
Yes, this is the plan.  But I wanted to to it sanely to not having to
change it again in the future.

> Sorry but I don't used yet the menu features of CDD and didn't
> understand well the reason to provide the docs.
The docs provide information about packages which come without a menu
for certain reason (not because the maintainer forgot it - this should
just trigger a bug report).

> IMHO, the menu structure possible can be changed to allow a more
> featureful use like:
>
>  etc/
>         cdd/
>                 helpers/
>                         menu/
>                         docs/
No this makes no sense.  Just read

 http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/ch-technology.en.html#s-any-dependency--menus

(and tell me if this not easily understandable ;-) ).

> In mean time, we probably have more helpers to user like configuration
> tools and like so why not include it on helpers directory?
Well, we have further helpers but I now wonder if it makes really sense to
put the menu entries in /etc.  The original idea was that these menu items
could be changes by local administrators.  But in principle they are in
the same category as menu entries under /usr/lib/menu.  I wonder if these
entries should be moved to /usr/lib/cdd/menu.

I just would like to repeat my question: Do you think that the user menu
idea is not worth the effort?  This is a real question and I would just like
to know whether I'm trapped in a certain thinking caused by some local
requirements.  IMHO our target users need an adapted menu and I would like
to hear your opinion in your environment.

Kind regards