Re: Raw script of Valencia talk

El Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:28:00PM +0200, Free Ekanayaka escribió:

>     Andreas> Hi, I was astonished by myself how much has happened in
>     Andreas> concerns of Custom Debian Distributions since Malaga and
>     Andreas> how much I had to change for my talk.  I'm not yet
>     Andreas> finished but would like to hear some opinions before I
>     Andreas> start my travel tomorrow at noon.  So feel free to
>     Andreas> comment on
>
>     Andreas> http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-med/talks/200405_valencia/index.html
>
>     Andreas> Any hints are welcome
>
> I would   add a paragraph about  debconf  feeding  in the Technologies
> section, as I  consider it a very important  aspect, but which seem to
> be somewhat problematic.
>
> This thread is a good source of information about the debconf issue:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/02/msg00801.html
>
> and I plan to talk about this issue myself too.

  Great, that's the kind of discussion I feel is needed.

  Besides the debconf issue you can mention the current debian-edu way
  of post configuring things after installation with cfengine, I don't
  know which is the better way of doing the same thing, but the current
  technique is working now and should be documented.

  Other things I'ld like to disscuss are not present in your talk (nor
  in your paper), but I hope they will be in the next one, after a
  fruitfull discussion here.

  I'm writting my proposals now, most of the them are based on things
  that we need for our project and I belive they can be done using tools
  useful for all CDDs:

  * A tool to generate an apt-source with only the subset of the full
    Debian Package list needed to install the CDD. This can be used for
    Derived Distributions, for specialized mirrors, to build
    installation CDs for one or various flavors of the CDD, etc.

  * A tool to build LiveCDs (this has been discussed in this list, I
    want to listen to everybody here and start work on it).

  * A mechanism to be able to update data from the packages in Derived
    distributions (i.e. we need a lot of translations not present in
    Debian, if they are not ready for Sarge we can provide them from a
    different source until the next stable release without recompiling
    binaries and multiplatform security updates ... ;)

  We'll talk about all this here and I'll post the conclusions next
  week.

  Greetings,

    Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69