Re: Bumping epoch and reusing package name "elisa"

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 09:21:14AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> writes:
> > Unless it has some other reasons than just "lower version".
>
> This causes a ton of headaches for the archive software.  IIRC, I believe
> dak is rather unhappy about version numbers going backwards, and of course
> apt is going to have no idea what to do for a system that already has the
> previous package installed.  [...]  Version numbers should be monotonically
> increasing, and I think it's reasonable for a lot of software to bake in
> the assumption that's the case.

Right.  I made a note that when I'm going to throw my next tantrum, NMUing
dpkg and apt to version 2147483647:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... might be a lot of
fun.  TODO: check what's the longest allowed version length.

(More seriously: with two techniques for non-monotonic versions, we don't
need a third one.)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ 10 people enter a bar: