Re: Package naming rant

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, 21:58 Thomas Goirand, <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

Could we have this discussion in the OpenStack PKG list instead? It
doesn't feel like this list is the appropriate one. I also don't believe
that any of the people writing in this thread are OpenStack users, are
you guys?

That is the point - namespace pollution affects everyone and is especially annoying to people that do *not* use OpenStack or do not even know what that is.

openstack-neutron-plugin-linuxbridge-agent is a perfectly normal name that reasonably describes what is in it. Imagine every dash-separate part as a namespace. If you do not need Python things, then you do not look into python* packages.

You can make a openstack-fuel-agent package and it will be clear that it is useless to people that do not know what openstack is. By making a package in a general namespace you are basically saying that this package is useful to everyone, that people do not need to know or use openstack for it to be useful to them.

In the same vein packages that are only useful to people writing Python software are in python-* (for example python-virtualenv is not a library), but regular apps that happen to be written in Python are not.