Re: Alternative proposal: reaffirm maintainers technical competence over the software they maintain

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:18:31PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> Maybe we should introduce an option called "NO further discussion"?

Actually no, I hope we never get there. I don't know what the future is
going to be like, and I don't want to make unnegotiable commitments,
ever. Including this one.

I want to be able to act with the best of my judgement and still be able
to find out, maybe years afterwards, that I have made mistakes, and that
I can do something to correct them.

I write this not with the intent to relate it to systemd, but because
reading "NO further discussion" triggers me in a bad way.

I offer "Let's not discuss it for a few months while we try to make it
work" as an alternative that I would consider reasonable[1], and the
difference between the two is something very, very important and dear to
me.

Enrico

[1] In the spirit of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8XHtvHZn4A
    https://github.com/tjluoma/John-Cleese-on-Creativity/blob/master/Transcript.markdown
    «For example, if you decide to leap a ravine, the moment just before
    take-off is a bad time to start reviewing alternative strategies.
    When you're attacking a machine-gun post you should not make a
    particular effort to see the funny side of what you are doing.»
--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>