archive rebuilds wrt Lucas' victory

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:00:04AM +0000, devotee@vote.debian.org wrote:
> The winners are:
> 	 Option 3 "Lucas Nussbaum"

So this means that if you are messing with an archive rebuild¹, you risk that
being viewed as sucking up to the elect?

Kind of reminds me of a time when, at a keysigning, I mentioned that "I
wonder why do we care about a name printed on an easily faked id, shouldn't
we instead prefer »this is a guy whom a bunch of debconf attendees recognize
as The Dear Leader«", and the last words were instead taken as a personal
compliment².

[1]. I got a fast armhf box that turned out useless for its intended purpose
due to GFX card/monitor issues.  Around two years ago, Lucas mentioned you
need around 340 core-hours for a rebuild, this box compiles roughly half as
fast (no idea how I/O will scale), so with 4 cores it should be a week in
the best case.  I have a hunch it'd be more like a month, but hey, a rebuild
can be paused if the box finds an use after all.

Too bad, I see what seems to be most of the time being spent in dpkg
installing dependencies -- how could this be avoided?  One of ideas would
be to reformat as btrfs (+eatmydata) and find some kind of a tree of
packages with similar build-depends, snapshotting nodes of the tree to
quickly reset to a wanted state -- but I guess you guys have some kind
of a solution already.

For now, I'm doing problematic libraries like reoffice by hand, thinking
how to go full auto.

[2]. Not that zack doesn't deserve those.  Like, for wearing a kilt when
facing govt officials.
--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ