Re: smaller than 0 but not negative (Re: question about "Conflicts:"

Hi.

Il 03/05/2012 03:28, Holger Levsen ha scritto:
> On Montag, 30. April 2012, Ralf Treinen wrote:
>> Conflicts: foo (>= 0), foo (<< 0)
>> to be exact, since versions smaller than 0 are possible.
>
> *grin*
>
> btw, is the concept of numbers smaller than zero but not negative known/used
> anywhere outside of debian/dpkg?

In maths we have quite a few ways to define number greater than zero,
but less than any other positive (real) number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitesimal

The most widespread is probably the concept of hyperreal number. They
don't strictly speaking fall into your definition, since "smaller than
zero" is usually defined to be exactly the opposite of "negative" (in
particular, if Debian used hyperreal numbers for package versions, no
foo hyperversion would never be installable with the requirements
above), but is probably the mathematical answer which fits more with
your question.

Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>