Re: RFR/RFS trafficserver

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 02:24:07PM +0100, Arno Töll wrote:
> I'd like to use this section to introduce you Apache Traffic Server
> (ATS) first. The Apache Traffic Server was formerly a commercial product
> developed by Inktomi, later acquisted by Yahoo! and now being developed
> by the Apache Software Foundation as top level project, as Yahoo!
> donated it to the ASF. [...]
>
> As the synopsis line already suggests, TS is known to be fast and
> scaling for large setups (e.g. Yahoo! carries 400TB per day with it). It
> supports clustering, ICP (used to be) and much more. Moreover it is
> extensible and can be used for both, as forward proxy and as reverse proxy.

Please tell me they burned the source, salted the ground, nuked any site it
was on from the orbit then rewritten it from scratch.

Even though it was ten years since I used an ISP that inflicted Inktomi
Traffic Server on its users, I still dread it.  Its features included
breaking any web page that used the same URL before and after login,
sometimes stopping a http request in the middle, just plain timing out
on a connect, and far more.

It's possible some of the bugs were papered over, but the mental scarring
remains...

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be