Re: Considerations for lilo removal

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>:
>  On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 06:42:25PM +0100, Martin B?hr wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 01:53:14PM +0000, Florian Rehnisch wrote:
> > > BTW: recently converted a lilo box into a grub one.
> >
> > the obligatory question i have to ask every time someone wants to replace
> > lilo with grub:
> >
> > can grub do animation yet?
> > like this:
> > http://www.gamers.org/~quinet/lilo/
>
>  Oh lovely.  So they waste time on useless crap like that, but still
>  can't read an arbitrary kernel from a filesystem yet.
>
>  No wonder grub is replacing it.

BS.  Both of them have their place and their uses.  Slackware distros
don't need grub.  I've seen many a distro's grub installer clobber the
existing grub without asking.  And running a four letter command after
changing lilo's config is not a lot to have to deal with to keep it
working.  Yeah, grub's great and works.  So's lilo, and sometimes it's
the better choice under those circumstances.