Re: ITP: debian-backports-keyring -- GnuPG archive key of the backports.org repository

On Sunday 22 June 2008 12:08:30 Adam Majer wrote:
> AFAIK, we do not distribute "things", we distribute *software*. Some
> packages are just composed of data though, but other packages depend on
> it. Some is just data that is very useful in the *Debian* project. This
> includes the keyring.
>
> Certainly, the backports.org keyring is useful to some people, *but* it
> is,
>
>   1. not free software

Actually, how are debian-keyring and debian-archive-keyring free-software,
anyway? Do I get source code for the all GPG keys they contain?
The /usr/share/doc/debian-keyring/copyright even says "The keys in the
keyrings don't fall under any copyright." Ooooops!

Maybe there are other reasons, but let's not pretend we're keeping
debian-backports-keyring out because it's not "free software".

(Personally, I think all keyrings are fine.)

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>