Re: Looking for co-maintainer for mercurial

On Tue February 26 2008 6:55:53 am Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Edward Allcutt <ema29@srcf.ucam.org>
wrote:

> >  So that would make hg the only VCS package maintained in a VCS inferior
> >  to itself? :P
>
> That's because hg-buildpackage is not really used much in Debian and
> also it seems noone is interested in it much, see also this bug or
> rather a wish:

> that I reported 4 months ago with no response at all.

It is a valid point that you can reconstruct the upstream branch just from
the tags.  But Mercurial in-tree branches are not at all the same as Git
in-tree branches, and don't really lend themselves to this sort of
development process as easily.  In Mercurial, you are really encouraged to
have the separate branches as separate dirs on disk.  I think there are a
few things that hg-buildpackage does which git-buildpackage doesn't yet, but
nothing significant.

I simply hadn't had the chance to think about that deeply yet.

But I am now in the process of moving my Debian packaging work from Mercurial
to Debian.  If you, or someone else, would like to take over
hg-buildpackage, please contact me.

-- John