Re: Alice and Bobs full name

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 06:33:41PM +0200, Martin Marcher wrote:
> 2007/9/21, Dave Holland <dave@biff.org.uk>:
> > On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 05:18:17PM +0200, Martin Marcher wrote:
> > > does anyone by any chance know Alice's and Bob's full name (Alice and
> > > Bob being the famous actors of every security dialog)?
> >
> > The original paper that introduced them -
> > http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rivest/rsapaper.pdf
> > doesn't give them full names.
>
> hmm from p3
> "For our scenarios we suppose that A and B (also known as Alice and Bob) are..."
>
> doesn't sound to me like that is the first mentioning. If anyone has
> other sources I'm open to more suggestions, wikipedia lead me to
> something [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_and_bob and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_%26_Carol_%26_Ted_%26_Alice] but it
> seems Ron Rivest wouldn't want us to call em
>
>     * Alice Henderson and
>     * Bob Sanders
>
> martin (not so sure that is the best one could come up with but it
> turns out there isn't much reference to something else)
>
> PS: The Issue came up because I was tired of having only John and Jane
> Doe's in a test system where I must enter a last name and since i like
> to actually have some sense in the things i type i figured someone
> must have had the same problem...

my impression of the name choice was that they were alphabetic choices
corresponding to a, b, c, the first three letters of the english
language alphabet. (a=alice,b=bob,c=...). As for a name used in a test
system: I used to use names of people I knew
or
star trek characters
or
other random characters in a tv show.