Re: DPL Debate prepared questions list [Debian Policy Sucks]

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 02:09, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > So what do you people suggest in such cases:
> > 1) Intel 1000MT NIC sucks, throw it away ?
> > 2) Unh! Why don't you change to Debian Unstable ?
> > 3) Buddy! We are all volunteers. Go and roll your own kernel with the
> > patches ?
> > 4) Wait! That hardware isn't officially supported by us. Build only
> > machines which are known to work with Debian Stable?
>
> 5) etch beta 2 was released last week with support for your hardware

So my question is:
I discovered it today. But there might have been many Debian Users who might
have discovered this issue earlier. What choice are they given ?

Is the choice:
Wait till etch gets released ?

RHEL and SLES do a damn good job of Hardware Bug Fixing and Feature
Enhancement for the software they ship.

Why can't we do it ? Is it just because our policy doesn't allow it ?
Can't we revise the policy ?

Thanks,
Ritesh
--