e1000 support in Debian [Was: Re: DPL Debate prepared questions list [Debian Policy Sucks]]

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:39:45PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > So what do you people suggest in such cases:
> > 1) Intel 1000MT NIC sucks, throw it away ?
> > 2) Unh! Why don't you change to Debian Unstable ?
> > 3) Buddy! We are all volunteers. Go and roll your own kernel with the
> > patches ?
> > 4) Wait! That hardware isn't officially supported by us. Build only machines
> > which are known to work with Debian Stable?

> 5) etch beta 2 was released last week with support for your hardware

If this is the issue I think it is, sarge does support the hardware but the
kernel isn't configured to support large frames on it in GigE mode.  I'm not
aware that this issue has been resolved yet in the kernels for etch either;
the issue had earlier been clouded by concerns over the reliability of this
kernel configure option, owing to confusion with a similarly named option
for a different card.