Re: Fedora news

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 03:05:41PM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> I get a weird feeling reading this ZDNews article...
>
>  <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5534343.html>

There's some ripper quotes in there:

"Red Hat couldn't accept much beyond simple bug reports" (from a RedHat
guy)  I'd ask "why the hell not?".  It's not as though it's hard to give
some random outsider some level of access to maintain a package, even if
every upload has to go through some RedHat QA checker -- they're paying
people, they can do that.  You have to work to build a community, but if all
the community can do is file bug reports, then you're screwed.

"Red Hat has opened up the source code repository--governed by software
called Concurrent Version System, or CVS--so outsiders can see the latest
software that's in the works."  Does this mean that, up until now, Fedora
hasn't had an equivalent of Debian sid to be able to dogfood the latest and
greatest?  Fark, no wonder no outsiders could get involved in developing the
damn thing...

> RedHat: are they - again - trying to duplicate Debian (and other community
> driven projects)?  Fedora Extra --> something like apt-get.org, or a mix
> between that and contrib?  Allowing outsiders to get patches into Fedora?

No, extras looks like Ubuntu Universe, or Debian's "everything outside
base".  I think it's closer to Ubuntu Universe, myself -- there's a pile of
stuff that RH will keep close grasp on, and will just let the scraps fall
where they may (in Extras).  It's not the way to build a community distro.
People are going to want to have a solid say in the way that the Core
develops, and RedHat aren't going to want to let that happen if Fedora is
(as has been suggested) nothing more than an unstable staging ground for
what goes into RHEL.

> I really wonder if RedHat wouldn't be better off by just switching to being
> a Debian-based distribution - they'd have their community here, and RH has
> the manpower to enhance Debian enough to sell it as a product of their
> own...

I think the way Ubuntu is doing it is a much better model than RedHat's, but
then again, it looks like the goals of RedHat and Ubuntu are very different.

RedHat has a particular way of doing things -- often very different from the
rest of the Linux world, and often not for the best.  (network config files,
anyone?)  They need to keep some level of compatibility between RHEL and
Fedora, since the latter is a testbed for the former, and they can't keep
compatibility if some outsiders (with their own views of What's Right) is
running the Fedora show.

As long as Fedora is in *any* way beholden to RedHat's corporate interests,
Fedora will not achieve it's full potential.  And I think there's a lot
there.  It's a distro with a lot of potential users, from Corporates who
don't want to fork out for RHEL on every machine they've got, to all of the
home users who've grown up with RedHat but can't afford RHEL.  A lot of
those people will get involved in some way if they can.

But I guess RedHat can't afford for the community distro to even look as
though it's as good as RHEL, otherwise they'll lose massive mindshare, and
then all they've got to sell is hardware and ISV certification -- which,
hopefully, will slowly go the way of the dodo.

I love the name of the upcoming Fedora conference -- FUDcon.  I wonder if
it's sponsored by Microsoft?

- Matt